GRANT PROCESS & APPLICATION
"Only 7% of charitable dollars go to women and girls globally."
Please apply if you are a 501(c)3 designed for, and providing direct services to 75%) low income women or girls in the United States OR if you are a Women Leaders for the World Alum serving low-income women or girls. We will have two grant cycles in 2023 with an intentionally very simple grant application for general operating support of $10,000. We want to know that our grant support and access to our network of leaders will make a difference in your organization. In 2023, How Women Give will prioritize funding to organizations providing services and programs to women in girls in the following categories:
Women’s Essential Services (food, health care access, childcare)
Economic Access & Security (financial literacy, career and workforce development)
We are a network of women who research, vote and give together. We have designed this process to be simple, lean and scalable. Our voting is democratic we are not available to answer questions beyond what is laid out in this website. We would love to fund every organization we love who comes to our doors but alas, today we are still small and we may not be able to fund even the most beloved, exciting organizations due to the volume of requests. We will notify you as soon as we can if you are not funded, and ask that you please try again, as more funds may come available in the future.
We believe that women and girls deserve equal opportunities and together we are committed to their justice and equality. We are outraged that most of the inequity in the world disproportionately affects women and girls and only 7% of grant dollars is committed to supporting them. We know that women of color receive even less support. We believe that leaders of color may have the best possible solutions but struggle to secure traditional grant dollars. We want to support those organizations and leaders for whom this grant will make the most difference. We want our support to signal to larger funders that this is an organization deserving of support.
All grant recipients must meet the following requirements:
• 501(c)3 organizations based in the United States OR led by a Women Leaders for the World (WLW) fellow or alum based or fiscally sponsored in the United States are invited to apply.
• Lead an organization specifically designed for, and providing direct services to, 75% or more low-
income women or girls and are not a project of a larger organization.
• Have an Executive Director/CEO who identifies as a woman; we prioritize leaders who are women of
color but not exclusively
• Can demonstrate that an operating grant of $10,000 will make a significant difference to the
• Organization's mission must promote and be designed for girls and women in one or more of the following areas:
- Women’s Essential Services (food, health care access, childcare)
- Economic Access & Security (financial literacy, career and workforce development)
• Organizations must provide direct services, at least 75% of which target low income women and girls.
• Organizations have an an operating budget of less than $3 million.
Grant proposals that include any of the following will not be considered:
• Debt reduction
• Grants to individuals
• Endowment or capital funding
• Partisan, legislative, or political activity
• Religious outreach or evangelical programs
Please do not send applications that do not meet these requirements.